GGF offers a DNA shearing service using the Covaris instrument.
The Covaris E220 Evolution instrument available at GGF is mostly used for DNA shearing application. It is ideal for the production of DNA libraries for next-generation sequencing.
The Covaris instrument works by using acoustic energy wave. The company refers to this process as Adaptive Focused Acoustic energy. The process enables mechanical energy to be applied to a sample without directly contacting the sample. The major advantages of this system are 1) that a minimal sample volume (50 µl) is used and 2) the shearing is very precise (highly repeatable among samples prepared in the same way).
- Standard shearing protocols for Illumina library generation
- The E220 can sheer samples 50 µl or 130 µl in volume and accurately fragment DNA to the 150-1500 bp range
- A sample can be processed in 5-10 minutes
- Highly reproducible
- Easy to use
- No chance of cross contamination as sample is in a closed vessel
- No aerosol
- Requires only 50 µl of starting material
- Temperatures of 4°C to 40°C can be controlled
- Borosilicate tubes with polypropylene screw-top closures are used
- More information on the Covaris.
- There are two ways to proceed with a project:
- 1-Submit an order and drop off your samples at GGF. All samples will be sheared by a GGF employee. You will be notified when the work has been completed. Customer will be charged based on the total number of samples processed.
- 2-a) Submit an order, b) Schedule an appointment to use the Covaris by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and referencing the order number in your request, c) Get an initial training on the instrument. A one-time training fee will be invoiced. d) Bring the samples to GGF at the appointment time to shear them; self-serve. e) Record in the log book the number of minutes the Covaris was in use for invoicing purposes.
Covaris shearing price per sample
|Covaris Self-Service Fees (UGA customers)|
|Set up fee per order||$6.50|
|Charge per minute for Covaris usage||$39.00/hr.|